Fix: Installer User Interface Mode Not Supported

There seems to be a bug for software installers created with InstallAnywhere. Wherein the downloaded installer unpacked when the installer initializes it throws an error and installation never occurs. Sounds familiar? Just sharing this information since I got stuck googling for about an hour or two about it without finding a fix applicable to me.

Installer User Interface Mode Not Supported Unable to load and to prepare the installer in GUI mode.
Read the rest of this entry »

Finally passed my Certified Developer Exam

Barely starting developing on for a couple of months and hurriedly studied to prepare for the exam I failed the exam and I retook the exam after a month and failed again, I knew then the preparing for the third retake that I should need a definite study plan and alot more time to know the ins and out. 3 weeks before the exam I studied straight and was ready to take the exam 2-3 days before the exam. The reference materials below helped me in preparing for the Exam. Because materials tends to be updated on new releases make sure you get the latest copies online.
Read the rest of this entry »

VisualForce Row Count

This is my first tutorial on VisualForce – a markup language for

The scenario was I needed to display a numbering for each child record found on the master record without coding an extension or using a controller.

My solution. Code below would loop to the child records and display each result found. The number count is declare as a variable with a value that starts at 1 before the start of the repeat tag and then another variable tag declaring using the same variable, using the formula VALUE before the end of the repeat to initialize it from text to a number integer then incrementing it by one.

<apex:variable value=”1″ var=”rowNum”/>
<apex:repeat value=”{!Work_Order__c.Work_Order_Charges__r}” var=”List” id=”theRepeat”>
<td><apex:outputtext value=”{!rowNum}”/></td>
<apex:variable var=”rowNum” value=”{!VALUE(rowNum) + 1}”/>

DIY: HP Laptop Power Adapter Repair

Got my wife one of those netbooks HP 2140 last year, the last couple of months it suddenly won’t turn on. The warranty was out and thought of the worst like motherboard failure etc.. Luckily it turns out the battery was drained and the power adapter was not working to charge it. After some googling it turns out this is common on HP laptop power adapters, there is a break going either on the pin side plug or the strain relief. So I was able to pinpoint the problem and just wiggled the strain relief and then taped it to position so it wont move that much. The strain relief is the rubber on the cable wire after the main power adapter box.  Tape fix was not elegant to look at but it worked.

Several days ago the HP netbook went dead again, power supply tape fix is not working anymore, exhausted trying to wiggle the strain relief and cable wire. Using another similar power adapter and netbook charged. So back to the power adapter problem I’m sure you can get a replacement for this online from $10-$25. But here in the Philippines maybe HP service center or distributor it’s pretty much around $20-30. But if your DIY like me, It was time to open it up look in the insides and repair it.

What I needed to do is cut the wires inside the strain relief,  remove the soldered wires, strip out portions of the longer wire to solder them back to board.

The tools I used were:
1. Hammer
2. Long flat knife
3. Cutter
4. Soldering Iron
5. Cable ties.

So first position the knife flat on the opening of side of the power adapter and slightly tap it going from base to up. This will open up the case instead of prying it open with a screwdriver. Do that on all sides then it would come off.

Next there is a metal sheet protector, remove them. On the bottom part it’s soldered to an IC. So heat it with a soldering iron and remember that extended IC as you will iron it back later. Now the strain relief is kinda messy, I had to cut it with a cutter to open it up then cut the wire. Next I unsoldered the portions of the wire connected on the board. Total there were three wires. First is the outer wire, white wire and the blue wire inside. So cut the wire and trim it the wires. Solder it on the same location as you did when you removed the old one.  Tape the remaining expose wires then  put back the strain relief.  Put back the sheet casing, iron the IC to the bottom part like earlier. Close the box and tie it with a zip a couple of cable ties to hold in place.

And there you have it, I managed to salvage the power adapter of my wife’s HP netbook.

PS. Pics are kinda blurry as I only took them with my phone’s cam. HTC Hero phone camera sucks at natural and low light! 🙁